Last Update: May 2, 2020
Various Dates: May 2020
The one-hour, interactive training will teach you Hollaback!’s 5D’s of bystander intervention methodology. We’ll start by talking about the types of disrespect that Asian and Asian American folks are facing right now — from microaggressions to violence — using a tool we call the “spectrum of disrespect.” You’ll learn what to look for and the positive impact that bystander intervention has on individuals and communities. We’ll talk through five strategies for intervention: distract, delegate, document, delay, and direct; and how to prioritize your own safety while intervening. We’ll have time at the end for practice, and you’ll leave feeling more confident intervening the next time you see Anti-Asian/American harassment online or in person.
Have You Experienced Hate? Report It
- Tell us your story. Help us track hate: StandAgainstHatred.org (accessible in Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese)
- New York State Fact Sheet and Hotline: All hate crimes and bias incidences can be reported by emailing the Attorney General's Civil Rights Bureau at email@example.com, or calling 1-800-771-7755.
- Los Angeles County Hotline: Officials encourage the community to utilize the county help line 211 to report acts of hate.
- Share your own stories, feelings, and experiences using the hashtag #HATEISAVIRUS.
Tracking Hate Map
Racism Is Contagious is tracking hate incident reports on this interactive map. Click on your area to see what has been reported in your community.
We partnered with the Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under Law to create this series of Community Stop Hate Action Kits that provide specific steps communities can take to combat hate. Learn more »
- Coronavirus/COVID-19 Resources to Stand Against Racism from Asian Americans Advancing Justice
- Combating Racism from AllAmericans.us
- COVID-19 and Immigrant Workers Fact Sheet from AFL-CIO
- How to Prevent 'Zoombombing' from ADL
- Best Practices for Securing Your Zoom Meeting + Preventing 'Zoombombing' (pdf) from American Libraries Magazine
- Daily Coronavirus Updates for Asian Americans resource from NextShark
- Guide to Bystander Intervention from Hollaback!
- Standing Up to Hate and Bias Related to COVID-19 from National Education Association
- How to Respond to Coronavirus Racism — a new publication from Teaching Tolerance, a project of the Southern Poverty Law Center
- Reduce Stigma Guide from the CDC
- Remote Book Club Guide from Facing History
- Resources for Teachers to Address Coronavirus Racism by Jason Chang, University of CT