Our original Not In Our Town film sparked a movement and citizens across the United States came together to stop hate in their respective communities. For some this meant unifying their towns and for some it meant unifying their campuses.
On this page you'll find a small sampling of some of these student-created programs that have been implemented on other campuses. With these examples to guide you, join colleges across the country that are saying Not In Our House, Not In Our Hall, and Not On Our Campus.
Examples of Action:
Photo: Univ. of Cali., Santa Barbara's students sport Not In Our Hall t-shirts at a school event.
- University of California-Santa Barbara created a Not In Our Hall guide, which outlines a program for Resident Assistants and Directors that promotes inclusiveness and acceptance of others in the residence halls and the surrounding campus community. The university also hosted a "Stand Up to Hate" campaign.
- University of California-Riverside created a Hate/Bias Response Team, which organizes "Stop the Hate" week, an annual event educating the campus about issues of diversity and discrimination.
- Takeo Rivera, a resident assistant at Stanford University, discusses how students can raise awareness about campus acts of intolerance in an interview about the anti-Asian backlash to which his dorm was subject.
- Skidmore College in Sarasota Springs, N.Y. created Not In Our Campus campaign stickers and pledge cards to remind students to speak out against intolerance. Their efforts were in response to hate messages and graffiti discovered in campus dorms.
Other Universities That Have Taken Action:
The following colleges were among those who created groups, hosted screenings and workshops, and held rallies. Many other college students—from Bloomington, Ind. to Modesto, Calif.—joined community organizations in the fight against hate.
Photo: Skidmore College students march.
- Michigan State University
- University of South Alabama
- Knox College (Illinois)
- University of Akron (Ohio)
- University of Utah
- University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- Cornell University
- Ithaca College
- University of Wisconsin
- John Carroll University (Ohio)
We hope you find these resources useful. Using them? Let us know! Email us at info@NIOT.org.