Not In Our Town (NIOT) is an Oakland, CA based non profit that serves a network of hundreds of schools and communities across the country who stand against bullying, hate and inequality and work to bridge differences, foster inclusion and build equity. NIOT was launched with a landmark PBS film and community engagement campaign that documented the inspiring efforts of Billings, Montana citizens who stood up and took action after their neighbors had been targeted in a series of hate crimes. Through documentary films, online resources and action guides for communities, schools and law enforcement, NIOT supports local leaders across the U.S. in building safe, inclusive communities where everyone is encouraged to participate. The Opportunity
Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Administrative Assistant provides general administrative support to a team of three staff and six consultants, ensuring smooth and effective operations across the organization. The Administrative Assistant will work closely with staff to arrange meetings and events in addition to supporting other projects and institutional needs. This is a part-time (20 hours/week) position, based out of our downtown Oakland, CA office.
Essential job functions include maintaining office operations and procedures, supporting the administrative needs of senior leadership and staff, performing data entry, and maintaining databases.
- Assist the organization with fundraising, community engagement, and other events (on- site and out of the office); some evening events required
- Manage a complex and frequently changing organization-wide schedule and calendar with tact, sensitivity, and efficiency
- Coordinate general office operations, including but not limited to: mail distribution (internal and external), media sales fulfillment, office supplies, and IT support
- Respond to general phone and email requests for information, ensuring communications are passed on to the appropriate staff member
- Assist with staff recruitment and onboarding, as needed
- Carry out basic data entry and update office records and documents on a regular basis
- Manage travel arrangements for senior leadership
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned
- At least two years of professional experience in a fast-paced, dynamic working environment
- Genuine interest in working in the nonprofit sector and a strong interest in NIOT’s mission to address hate and bullying and build safe inclusive communities for all.
- Proactive, self-motivated, resourceful, adaptable, and creative in the planning process
- Able to manage multiple tasks and adjust quickly to changing priorities
- Possesses a friendly attitude, customer service mentality, intellectual curiosity and a good sense of humor
- Excellent independent judgment and decision-making skills
- Articulate; exceptional verbal and written communication
- Proficiency in office productivity technology and collaboration tools including Microsoft Office and Google Apps; experience utilizing CRM databases a plus
This position reports directly to the Executive Director. This is a part-time position totaling 20 hours/week, with benefits. Compensation commensurate with experience. To be considered as an applicant:
Please email a PDF resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include in the Subject line “NIOT Admin Assistant.” To help us better evaluate candidates, please explain why you feel you are a good fit for this position and share a past work-related accomplishment that demonstrates your problem-solving skills and/or ability to take initiative. NIOT is an equal opportunity employer committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or (510) 268-9675.
Do you want to use your data and engagement skills, and work at a creative, mission- driven organization who is helping communities nationwide stand up to hate? Join our team at Not In Our Town!
Not In Our Town (NIOT) is an Oakland, CA based national community engagement and media non-profit that serves a movement to stop hate, address bullying, and build safe, inclusive communities for all. The Data Manager will collaborate with Not In Our Town (NIOT) staff and NIOT community leaders develop new ways to track and document NIOT’s impact and Intake of Gold Star Cities data development. The primary objective is to build and strengthen the capacity of the NIOT's database to persist, evolve and effectively respond to hate.
- Develop a reporting / scoring rubric to track progress on Gold Star Cities (GSC) criteria
- Capture and collect documents, documentation, attendance records, photos and reports on community progress on GSC action steps.
- Create data integration(s) between an online platform called the Action Network and the NIOT database for Gold Star Cities.
- Work with a team to develop a survey and data collection methods for the GSC program. Interfacing and consult with advisors, social scientists and experts, and develop technology tools to capture data and survey results
- Development of new ways to track and document NIOT’s impact
- Export data from various systems and consolidate into an integrated system to communicate with activists in our network and donors
- Once a quarter - reporting and analysis on data from online and social media data. Publish reports on Google ads, Facebook, etc.
- Administration and tracking of Google Ads in consultation with program team
This will be a part time role based in our Oakland, California office.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For volunteer opportunities, please email us at email@example.com or call us at (510) 268-9675.