Michigan State University, University of South Alabama, Knox College (Illinois), University of Akron (Ohio), University of Utah, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Cornell University, Ithaca College, University of Wisconsin, and John Carroll University (Ohio) were among those who created groups, hosted screenings and workshops, and held rallies. Many other college students—from Bloomington, Ind. to Modesto, Calif.—joined community organizations in the fight against hate.
On this page you'll find a small sampling of some of these student-created programs that may be useful on your campus. Join others across the country that are saying Not In Our Hall, Not In Our House, Not On Our Campus.
- University of California-Santa Barbara created a Not In Our Hall guide, which outlines a program for Resident Assistants and Directors that promotes inclusiveness and acceptance of others in the residence halls and the larger surrounding community. The campus also hosted a "Stand Up to Hate" campaign.
- University of California-Riverside has a Hate/Bias Response Team and is responsible for organizing a "Stop the Hate" week, an annual event educating the campus about issues of diversity and discrimination. You can find out more about their efforts here.
- An interview with Stanford University resident assistant after his dorm was subject to anti-Asian backlash. Takeo Rivera discusses how students can raise awareness about campus acts of intolerance.
- Skidmore College in Sarasota Springs, N.Y. created these Not In Our Campus campaign stickers and pledge cards to remind students to speak out against intolerance. Their efforts follow hate messages and graffiti discovered in campus dorms.
- Though successfully used in high schools, several Not In Our School activities can easily be adapted to the college level. Consider how this Ohio classroom documented its community through interviews and film.
We hope you find these resources useful. Using them? Let us know! Email us at email@example.com.
Above: Univerisity of California-Santa Barbara's students sport Not In Our Hall t-shirts at a school event.
Left: Skidmore College students march.