Not In Our Town partnered with Welcoming America around the release of our film, Light in the Darkness, a PBS documentary that explores how a New York village came together following anti-immigrant violence.
Welcoming America works with affiliates nationwide to engage the towns that welcome immigrants. In addition to online activities that feature Not In Our Town, Welcoming America hosts National Welcoming Week, starting on Sept. 15!
During the week of Sept. 15-22, 2013, Welcoming America and its partners across the country will host National Welcoming Week, a nationwide event that will highlight the contributions of immigrants to American communities.
Throughout the country, National Welcoming Week events will bring together immigrants and U.S.-born community members in a spirit of unity through service projects and cultural events focusing on Community Beautification, Healthy Communities, and Connected Communities.
Join a Welcoming Week Event in Your Community
Currently, events are being planned in communities across the country - to find the one closest to you, visit welcomingweek.org
Not In Our Town Ideas for Welcoming Week
National Welcoming Week is a great opportunity to support your local immigrant community. Here are some ideas to get Not In Our Town groups started.
1. Screen a Not In Our Town film and begin the conversation about immigrants in your community.
- New Immigrants Share Their Stories
- No Human Being Was Born Illegal
- Shajee's Story: Middle School Students Learn About Islam
- Mayor Pontieri: We Are All Immigrants
- Ana Maria Caraballo: Local Radio's Connection to the Community
- Patchogue Library's Gilda Ramos: A Voice for Her Community
- Mosaic: No One Walks Alone
- A Novel Approach to Diversity
- After an Immigrant Murder: A Call for Response and Unity
2. Dissolve Stereotypes (Activity)
This popular activity was inspired by a Not In Our School campaign but remains an effective way to talk about bias in a hands-on way. The activity can be easily adapted for all age levels.
Launched in 2012 by the nonprofit organization, Welcoming America, National Welcoming Week is the first nationwide event in which immigrants and U.S.-born individuals come together to create stronger communities.
Learn more at welcomingweek.org
and share your activites on Facebook and Twitter using the hashtag #welcomingweek.