Five Ways to Move into Action
Not On Our Campus (NOOC) offers solutions-based strategies and tools for change to a network of colleges and universities working to create welcoming and inclusive climates. Change begins with these five steps. Go to niot.org/project/notonourcampus to find out what others campuses have done.
- Provide opportunities for students to discuss issues affecting them.
- Get student government and other campus organizations involved in organizing anti-hate/ intolerance forums to address and resolve problems.
- Model ways to intervene and speak up and reject negative attacks or social media posts.
- Listen, pay attention and offer support to students in crisis.
- Organize flash mobs to resist.
- Create response teams or hotlines so bias and bully victims can come forward.
- Stop hate at home.
- Create a pledge to stop hate and bullying.
- Organize a NIOT Film Festival followed by open discussion of local issues
- Sponsor NOOC Week with buttons, banners, slogans, T-shirts and campus-wide activities.
- Share stories on NIOT.org so one campus can learn from another.