The Not In Our School Learning Community Workshop Series is a new initiative offering workshops on the 2nd Tuesday of each month throughout the fall for educators who want to create identity affirming classrooms. Learn more + Register »
Watch the kick-off information session, "Set the tone for your year! How to launch a NIOS campaign,” led by instructor Mary Sok (above video) filmed on August 30, 2022. Mary is a teacher at Watchung Hills Regional High School, a professor at Kean University, and an Executive Board member of the Diversity Council for Global Education and Citizenship.
Resources Mentioned in the Workshop
- Video about Watchung "White-Out Bullying" action: https://www.niot.org/nios-video/white-out-erase-bullying
- Biopoem Activity: https://www.facinghistory.org/resource-library/teaching-strategies/biopoem-identity-poetry
- Teaching Strategies: Identity Charts: https://www.facinghistory.org/resource-library/teaching-strategies/identity-charts
- Video about Students Map Bully Zones video: https://www.niot.org/nios-video/students-map-bully-zones-create-safer-school
- October Anti-Bullying Film Festival Videos: https://www.niot.org/nios-october-film-festival (Students can watch films and report on them and the ideas they learned from the videos.)
- NIOS Quick Start Guide: https://www.niot.org/nios/quickstart
- NIOS Pledge: https://www.niot.org/take-pledge (You can read the pledge over the loudspeaker or make it part of another event and ask students to read along.) Downloadable PDF
Sign Up for the Workshop Series
We would like to invite educators in NIOT communities to join a monthly series of professional development workshops to share strategies for building a culture of inclusion and belonging in the classroom.
Tuesday Oct. 10, 7 ET / 4 PT
Bullying Prevention: Creating Safe Schools
Tuesday Nov. 8, 7 ET / 4 PT
United Against Hate Week
Tuesday Dec. 13, 7 ET / 4 PT
Building CommUNITY: Promoting Civil Discourse
Teachers who complete the series of workshops (3 sessions) will receive a certificate of professional development.
Presenters: Mary Sok and Jamie Lott-Jones