Online Professional Development Opportunities for Educators
Create a Plan to End Bullying and Intolerance in Your School and Community
Not In Our School: Strategies to Address Bullying and Intolerance by Creating Safe, Inclusive, and Accepting Schools, a 2-unit online course offered through the University of San Diego, gives educators and administrators tools for preventing and addressing bullying, and supporting a positive, identity-safe school climate.
This course can be taken individually or as part of the University of San Diego Bullying Prevention in Our Schools Certificate program.
Instructor: Becki Cohn-Vargas, Ed.D., Not In Our School Director
Course Dates: Jan. 27, 2015 to Mar. 16, 2015
- Review the latest research on bullying and intolerance in schools and the social psychological research on reducing prejudice
- Understand the impact of bullying and intolerance, specifically racism, sexism, religious and anti-gay bigotry, and the dynamics of peer pressure and bullying based on physical appearance and disability
- Devise tools for assessing bullying and intolerance on your campus
- Explore best practices for addressing bullying and intolerance through dialogue, peer-led initiatives and turning bystanders into upstanders
- Develop skills and a tool kit of resources to address bullying and intolerance
- Implement cross-curricular applications that integrate with the Common Core Standards
- Understand the impact of stereotypes, stereotype threats and identity safety and how to create safe, inclusive and accepting positive climates
- Start a Not In Our School campaign in your classroom, school and district