- Group Name: University and Community Action for Racial Equity (UCARE)
- Location: Charlottesville, VA
- Links: UCARE
Activities, Challenges & Lesssons Learned
To understand and remedy the University’s legacy of slavery, segregation and discrimination within and outside of the University.
Our Mission Statement:
- Listen to and learn from community members who have lived and experienced those legacies.
- Effectively communicate and raise understanding of this legacy within the University of Virginia as well as impacted communities.
- Be a catalyst to generate commitment and actions that promote racial justice, equity, and reconciliation.
The University and Community Action for Racial Equity (UCARE) is dedicated to helping the University of Virginia and the Charlottesville communities work together to understand the University’s role in slavery, racial segregation, and discrimination and to find ways to address and repair the legacy of those harms, particularly as they relate to present day disparities. To that end, UCARE participants represent a broad cross-section of community members and University students, staff and faculty. We hope that our efforts at working collaboratively across sometimes polarized divides represent positive steps towards truth, understanding, repair and authentic relationship.