About Not In Our School
What is Not In Our School?
Across the country, students and teachers are sharing stories, joining together and taking action to create safe schools, free from stereotypes, intolerance, and hate. They’re part of a movement called Not In Our School (NIOS). For more than a decade, Not In Our School has inspired students of all ages to develop and share innovative ways to resist bullying and promote an atmosphere of acceptance and inclusion. The Not In Our School videos, activities and resources on our website showcase the immense capacity, energy, and creativity of young people who are creating new ways to make their schools safe for everyone. Read about Not In School's history.
Don’t Wait: Take Not In Our School (NIOS) Action Now
1. Show a NIOS Film and follow with discussion and the accompanying NIOS lesson plan.
- Select one from the 50 NIOS films and lesson guides.
2. Start a Not In Our School Anti-bullying and Intolerance Club at your school.
- Kick it off by showing a NIOS film
- Invite student leaders and representatives of many school contituencies
- Develop a mission statement and an action plan.
3. Start a NIOS Campaign in your school.
Need help? Read about how you can implement Not In Our School on your campus.
A Not In Our School (NIOS) campaign is an ongoing commitment to empower students to create safe and inclusive environments that are free of bullying, harassment and all forms of intolerance. Every NIOS campaign takes on the characteristics of the school community and responds to local issues and needs. A Not In Our School Campaign mobilizes students to be “upstanders” who take action to stand up for another or others and create a climate that reflects the values of safety, respect and inclusion in these ways:
- Over 50 Not In Our School videos (many now with closed captions), and lesson plans organized by theme and grade-level,with discussion questions to open the conversation and spark dialogue in your classroom or school group.
- NIOS Quick Start Guide provides a template for starting a NIOS campaign.
- Step-by-step Not In Our School activity guides you can use to adapt the activities featured in our films.
- Lesson ideas from our education partner Facing History and Ourselves
- Ideas and teacher tips for creating a NIOS group and joining the NIOS community
- Access to the NIOS Educators Network, and sign-up features for NIOS Educator Facebook Page and the NIOS newsletter
- Not In Our School Video Action Kit order forms
FOR MIDDLE AND HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS
- Video: Youth Leaders Share Strategies for Standing Up to Hate
- An interactive "What Do You Say?" section to share stories, ideas, and advice for taking a stand against bullying and intolerance
- Art and video contests and challenges for students
Our Education Partners: Facing History and Ourselves
The Not In Our School initiative has partnered with education nonprofit Facing History and Ourselves. Facing History and Ourselves combats racism, antisemitism, and religious prejudice by using history to teach tolerance in classrooms around the globe.
As part of our partnership, Facing History and Ourselves teachers across the country have introduced NIOS videos into their classroom. Facing History and Ourselves has also developed classroom lesson guides for Not In Our School videos. These include:
- Preparing to Use the Not in Our School Website
- Facing History and Ourselves Lesson Plan: Using Not in Our School Videos
- Facing History and Ourselves Lesson Plan: Youth Leaders Share Strategies for Standing Up to Hate
- Facing History and Ourselves Lesson Plan: Spread the Peace
Not In Our School is a project of The Working Group, a 501(c)3 nonprofit documentary production organization.